Pedestrians can be subject to serious injuries at the hands of negligent drivers. On December 3, 2012, Elpidio Estrada was walking along the eastside of Calimesa Blvd at about 6:11 a.m. A 2004 Honda Odyssey traveling in the opposite direction ended up striking the pedestrian. The impact resulted in fatal injuries to the pedestrian. While this accident may, or may not have been caused by the negligence of the driver, it is an example of the tragedy that can result from these accidents.
How can you protect yourself as a pedestrian? Here are a few helpful tips:
1. Never assume a driver sees you, even if he is looking straight at you.
2. You must take action to protect yourself by being hyper-attentive to your surroundings.
3. Wear bright clothing or reflective devices while walking at night.
4. Walk towards traffic instead of with traffic. This allows you to see the cars coming so you can make adjustments if necessary.
5. Utilize cross-walks and designated walkways instead of crossing in the middle of the road and only cross when the traffic signals indicate that it is safe to cross.
6. Do not walk along the road while intoxicated or unable to provide your full attention.
7. If possible avoid walking in areas that are obscured or where a driver’s view is limited.
8. Carry a flashlight at night
9. Walk as far away from the edge of the road as the sidewalk or walking trail will permit.
10. Attempt to avoid roadways with heavy traffic.
Walking is such a great activity and will enhance the lives of those who participate. Let’s do our part as drivers to be aware of pedestrians and provide them the respect they deserve. Remember a pedestrian’s accident with a car almost never hurts the driver, but the pedestrian could experience life long injuries or death.
If you, or a loved one, has suffered an injury or the death as a result of a vehicle vs. pedestrian accident, and you are searching for a very good personal injury lawyer to recover from a negligent driver, consider the Inland Empire Law Group as your personal injury law firm. We have successfully helped thousands of people financially recover from the negligence of others. Don’t accept financial and emotional losses from an accident. The Inland Empire Law Group is a great choice for your legal needs when you are faced with a pedestrian or an auto accident from a negligent driver.