A doctor misreads your x-ray and misses a vital cancer diagnosis. A surgeon permanently damages the nerves in your hands and arms during a carpal tunnel syndrome surgery. A malignant brain tumor is diagnosed as a migraine without first using an MRI as a diagnostic test.
Although we trust our doctors and our hospitals with our health and wellbeing, a surprising number of surgical errors and misdiagnoses are made each year. In fact, the National Practitioner Data Bank reported that 191,000 medical malpractice incidents have taken place in the United States in the last ten years. Still, only one out of eight medical malpractice victims file a legal claim, according to the Harvard Medical Practice Study.
The Inland Empire Law Group is a team of medical malpractice injury recovery professionals serving Rancho Cucamonga as well as the surrounding San Bernardino and Riverside counties. We believe that medical malpractice claims are important for two reasons: first, they secure families the financial support they need and deserve after a surgical error or misdiagnosis and second, they protect future patients from the careless acts of negligent doctors and medical institutions.
Inland Empire Surgical Error Attorney
Surgical error is one of the most common, costly, and deadly forms of medical malpractice. The annual cost of avoidable surgical errors is roughly $17 billion according to a study conducted by the National Patient Safety Benchmarking Center, while the Journal of the American Medical Association estimates that between 32,000 and 98,000 patients die each year due to surgical errors. Many more surgical errors lead to serious injuries, infection, nerve damage, paralysis, and permanent disability.
What are the most common types of surgical error?
- Anesthesia errors that can lead to numbness, brain damage, and even death.
- Improper sterilization that can lead to infection.
- Operating on the wrong part of the body, such as performing knee surgery on the wrong knee.
- Technical errors.
- Leaving foreign objects, such as scalpels, sponges, tweezers, gauze, or clamps, inside the body cavity.
- Nerve damage that can lead to chronic pain, weakness, numbness, or paralysis.
- Performing surgery on the wrong patient or performing unnecessary surgery.
- Organ puncture that can lead to organ damage, infection, or death.
At Inland Empire Law Group, we understand the dire consequences of surgical errors as well as the importance of prosecuting negligent or careless surgeons in California. Working together with our client as a team, we approach surgical error medical malpractice cases with energy, thoroughness, and honesty.
Inland Empire Misdiagnosis, Missed Diagnosis, and Wrong Diagnosis Lawyer
It is imperative that your doctor correctly diagnoses your conditions, illnesses, and diseases. A failure to diagnose disease or a delay in treating a disease can lead to permanent damage, pain and suffering, the escalation of your illness, and even death. Although some rare diseases may be hard to pinpoint, doctors can be negligent in their diagnosis if they ignore or overlook symptoms, fail to conduct common diagnostic tests, or misread test results.
What are the most commonly misdiagnosed diseases?
- Heart attacks are often misdiagnosed as chest pains or heartburn by emergency room doctors, especially in the case of female heart attack victims who may have less traditional symptoms than males.
- Symptoms of infections are often misdiagnosed or shrugged off by doctors. These missed diagnoses can have permanent, serious, and even fatal results.
- Cancer is the most commonly misdiagnosed disease, many times due to a doctor's failure to conduct cancer screenings. A failure to diagnose cancer can make the disease much more difficult to treat as tumors spread throughout the body. Breast cancer and colon cancer are frequently misdiagnosed.
- Clogged arteries are often dismissed by doctors who think their patients are simply out of shape. Symptoms of clogged arteries such as shortness of breath should be followed up with diagnostic testing.
If you think that you or a loved one has been a victim of medical negligence or medical malpractice, talk to us today about your case. Schedule a no-obligation, confidential consultation with one of our attorneys by filling out the contact form on this page or by calling our toll-free number at (909) 481-0100. So many medical malpractice victims keep silent - make sure that your medical negligence case sees justice, for both your own security and for the safety of future patients.
The Inland Empire Law Group is located in Rancho Cucamonga, California and serves clients in San Bernardino County, Riverside County, and LA County as well as the following cities: Rancho Cucamonga, Alta Loma, Etiwanda, Fontana, Ontario, Upland, Montclair, Rialto, Victorville, Colton, Norco, San Bernardino, Riverside, Yucipa, Redlands, Bloomington, Chino, Apple Valley, Hesperia, Adelanto, Barstow, Pomona, Claremont, La Verne, San Dimas, Glendora, Diamond Bar, Corona, Grand Terrace, Highland, Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, Wrightwood, and Moreno Valley.