Slip and fall accidents in San Bernardino County, CA, can happen anywhere, or at any time. One area where slip and fall injuries occur frequently are in restaurants. Restaurants have all the hazards that can contribute to a slip and fall accidents. Some of these hazards include, tile or slick flooring, liquid being handled around the restaurant, food that can be dropped, improper preparation of an entry way, dim lighting, distracting surroundings, or the presence of any items that change the flooring from a safe condition to a dangerous condition.
Restaurant slip and fall injuries generally do not occur in the absence of some level of negligence. Negligence is defined as the failure to act reasonably under the circumstances. This might include the failure of a store to properly inspect the condition of the floor, failing to provide warning signs, performing and incomplete clean up job, or failing to adjust for conditions which are creating a dangerous condition for the patrons of the restaurant. Negligence can also be extended to the injury victim as well. If a person sees a dangerous condition, yet proceeds through the danger without regard for their own safety, the injury victim may be fully responsible for his or her own negligence and injury.
Once there is some level of negligence in a San Bernardino County restaurant, the injuries that can arise from that negligence can vary from no injuries from the fall to significant life altering injuries.
Common Types of Restaurant Slip and Fall Injuries
- Sprains and strains: These are injuries to the ligaments and muscles, respectively. They're usually caused by falling awkwardly or landing on an outstretched hand or foot.
- Fractures: A bone can break if you fall from a significant height or land on a hard surface. Fractured bones can take weeks or even months to heal properly.
- Head injuries: A fall can cause you to hit your head on the ground or on a hard object, which can lead to a concussion or even a traumatic brain injury.
- Spinal cord injuries: A fall can cause the spine to compress, resulting in a traumatic injury to the spinal cord. Spinal cord injuries can lead to paralysis and other serious health problems.
- Dislocations: A fall can cause a joint to pop out of place, which is extremely painful. Dislocations usually require medical treatment to realign the joint.
- Contusions: This is a bruise that occurs when blood vessels are damaged. Contusions can be painful and may require medical treatment.
- Lacerations: A laceration is a deep cut that requires stitches to close. Lacerations can lead to infection if they're not treated properly.
5 Things to Do After You're Injured in a Restaurant Slip and Fall Accident
If you've been injured in a San Bernardino County restaurant slip and fall accident, it's important that you take the following steps:
- Report your fall and injury to the manager or owner of the restaurant. Make sure that they fill out an accident report so that there is a record of what happened.
- Take photos or videos of the scene, if possible. This will be helpful evidence later on.
- Get contact information for any witnesses. Their testimony could be crucial in proving your case.
- Seek medical attention. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's still important to get checked out by a doctor. Be sure to keep all of your medical records and bills.
- Contact a San Bernardino County slip and fall lawyer who has experience handling these tpes of accidents. They will help you understand your legal options.
Do You Need to Speak to an Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer in San Bernardino County?
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident at a San Bernardino County restaurant, the Inland Empire Law Group can help. Contact our injury lawyer and professionals at (888) 694-3529 or (909) 481-0100 or use our online contact form to make an appointment for a free initial review of the circumstances leading to your fall injury to see if you are entitled to compensation for your injuries.