If you are a motorcyclist driving on Southern California freeways or roadways, you have probably had one or more near accidents or even actual crashes as a result of a driver not paying attention or not seeing the motorcycle rider when a car changes lanes or makes a turn directly in your path. When this happens, you need an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Rancho Cucamonga by your side.
Because unfortunately, a majority of motorcycle crashes result in serious injuries and death. Our lawyers at the Inland Empire Law Group have represented motorcycle riders injured due to a negligent car or truck driver and those who were injured by motorcyclists who are inattentive or traveling at dangerous speeds.
Motorcycles Accidents Are Significantly More Likely to Be Fatal Than Car Accidents
Approximately 4,000 motorcyclists are killed every year. Additionally, 80,000 motorcycle accidents injure riders in traffic accidents. It is easy to understand the severity and frightening frequency of such accidents. Per vehicle mile traveled in 2004, it has been shown that motorcycle drivers are 34 times more likely to die than a passenger in a car.
While motorcycles only account for 2% of registered vehicles, they account for 10% of all traffic deaths.
More Motorcycle Crash Statistics
- Nearly 5,000 motorcyclists were killed in motorcycle accidents in 2018 alone.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 80 percent of motorcycle crashes result in injury or death, compared to just 20 percent of car accidents.
- Department of Transportation-compliant helmets are roughly 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries and approximately 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle accident fatalities.
- In 2016, motorcyclists were 28 times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to die in a crash (per vehicle mile traveled).
- California is ranked among the top 15 states with the highest numbers of motorcycle accident fatalities in the nation.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Rancho Cucamonga
Like most types of “accidents,” motorcycle crashes are largely preventable. Common negligence-related motorcycle accident causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Errors associated with inexperience
- Drivers who fail to check their blind spots for motorcyclists
- Drivers who fail to watch for motorcyclists maneuvering between vehicles and lanes of traffic, known as lane splitting
- Drivers who open the door of a parked vehicle into the path of an oncoming motorcycle
- Drivers who fail to take dangerous road or weather conditions into account
Common Injuries Sustained in Rancho Cucamonga Bike Crashes
In the event of an accident, passenger vehicle occupants are protected by a strong steel exterior, while the only thing standing between motorcyclists and the road is their riding gear. Considering the complete lack of exterior protection, it isn't difficult to understand why so many motorcycle crashes result in severe or even catastrophic injuries to riders. Common injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include:
- Severe lacerations and contusions
- “Road rash” abrasion injuries
- Broken or crushed bones
- Lost limbs or amputations
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- “Rider's arm” nerve damage
- Dental and facial injuries
- Scarring or disfigurement
Potential Damages in Motorcycle Accident Cases
Filing a motorcycle crash insurance claim or lawsuit in California allows you to seek financial compensation for losses that have a quantifiable monetary value, as well as for intangible losses with subjective value. Damages available in motorcycle accident cases may include:
- All reasonable and necessary medical expenses related to the crash
- Property damages, like the cost to repair or replace your motorcycle
- Lost income, such as lost wages or the loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- And more
Why You Need an Experienced Rancho Cucamonga Motorcycle Crash Attorney
- Motorcycle accidents often involve significant damages and the potential for sizable settlements or financial awards. As a result, you can expect the responsible party's insurance company or defense team to fight against compensating you fairly.
- Implicit bias against motorcyclists can affect your recovery. A skilled motorcycle accident attorney can help you overcome this bias to collect the compensation you deserve.
How to Find the Best Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Rancho Cucamonga
Follow these tips and you should be on the right path towards finding the best Rancho Cucamonga motorcycle accident lawyer:
- Case Results and Testimonials. Any bike crash lawyer who has the experience you need should be able to provide case results and reviews from past clients. If they have lots of positive reviews, that’s a major plus, as understanding how the attorney interacts with real clients is important.
- Experience. Not just experience as an injury attorney, experience with actual motorcycle accident cases. Not every personal injury attorney is qualified to handle all types of injuries. Some attorneys only have experience with slip and fall accidents or wrongful death cases, and that’s fine. But you don’t want someone with that kind of experience to handle your motorcycle crash case.
- Word of Mouth. If your loved one has a recommendation from past experience dealing with the attorney (and you trust them, as you should when it comes to family and friends), why not set up a consultation. Speaking of …
- Ask Questions During a Free Consultation. Most, if not all, personal injury attorneys will offer a free consultation. Make sure you use that time to ask the attorney lots of questions. Not just about experience and past results – like we mentioned above – but about their background, possible help in the community, anything that will help you get a better understanding of who they are as a person and an attorney, and will lead you to a decision you feel comfortable with.
If You’ve Been Injured, Our Rancho Cucamonga Motorcycle Accident Attorney Is Here to Help
At the Inland Empire Law Group, we team with experts in investigating the crash site as soon as we can. Evidence must be preserved so we can establish your case if you were injured on a motorcycle due to a negligent driver. If you have lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, our Rancho Cucamonga motorcycle accident lawyer will settle or litigate your wrongful death claim with dedication, compassion and diligence.
For a quality attorney experienced in bike crash injuries anywhere in the Inland Empire or High Desert, call the Inland Empire Law Group today at 909-481-0100 for a free, no-obligation consultation.