Most people don't expect to be hit by a vehicle when heading out for a walk. Unfortunately, with more people walking for leisure, exercise, and transportation, pedestrian accidents are on the rise all across the country, and California is no exception. Here's what you can do to protect your rights after being struck by a vehicle or injured while taking evasive action:
- Check yourself for injuries and call for an ambulance, if necessary. Pedestrian accidents can cause devastating injuries, such as lacerations and contusions, broken bones, internal bleeding, and brain damage.
- Report the accident to law enforcement.
- Get contact and insurance information from the driver of the involved vehicle.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident, as well as your injuries (if your injuries are severe, you may need to ask a friend or your attorney for help).
- Write down contact information for people who witnessed the pedestrian accident, so your attorney can talk to them later, if needed.
- Consult and hire a California personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney can help you gather the evidence necessary to support your injury claim.
- Follow through with your post-accident medical care. Attend all scheduled appointments with your doctor and follow the prescribed treatment plan.
If you were hit by a vehicle or hurt while taking action to avoid being struck, your injuries may require extensive—and expensive—medical treatment and unexpected time off from work. Filing a personal injury lawsuit against the responsible party allows you to seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning potential, pain and suffering, and other damages. For example, pedestrian accident victims may be entitled to a recovery for noticeable scarring or disfigurement. You may even be eligible for damages if you were partially responsible for your injuries.
Hurt in an Inland Empire Pedestrian Accident? Let Us Help!
At the Inland Empire Law Group, our skilled attorneys help pedestrian accident victims recover fair damages. We may be able to do the same for you. Contact us today at (888) 694-3529 or (909) 481-0100 to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation to discuss the details of your pedestrian accident case.