After a car accident, an attorney can help you understand your legal rights, explore your options for financial compensation, and fight for a fair financial recovery for your injuries and other losses. While a car accident attorney has the legal training and experience necessary to go toe-to-toe with the liable party's insurance company and legal counsel at the negotiation table or in the courtroom, when it comes to achieving a successful resolution to your car crash case, you also have an important role to play. Here are just a few of the things you can do to help your attorney win your car accident case:
- Be honest with your attorney. In order to provide you with effective legal representation, your car accident attorney needs to know as much about the accident as possible. Give them as many details as you can, including the time and date, the name of the road you were traveling on, the direction you were traveling in, when you noticed the other driver, actions that you or the other driver took before the crash, whether there were any witnesses, and what statements you made at the scene. It's important not to hold back any information, even if you think you may be partially at fault. In California, being partly responsible for an accident doesn't necessarily preclude you from collecting compensation. Although the details can be fuzzy, do your best to remember as much as you can, and be honest with your car accident attorney throughout the process.
- Don't discuss your case with anyone other than your attorney. Communication between you and your attorney, or your attorney's staff, is confidential due to attorney-client privilege. The same cannot be said for what you say to other people about the accident, including your own insurance company. Although this step can be difficult, the best thing you can do is to keep the details of your case private until you reach an outcome.
- Provide requested information and documentation to your attorney in a timely manner. The information and documentation your attorney or his or her staff request is essential to helping them build a strong case for damages. Promptly providing this information can help speed up your claim and prevent unnecessary delays.
- Respond to communication from your attorney promptly. Your attorney or his or her staff members may contact you to request additional information or documentation throughout the insurance claims or litigation process. When this happens, it's important to respond as quickly as possible. In addition to being respectful of your attorney's time, prompt responses help prevent delays, and ensure that you don't miss any important deadlines.
- Talk to your attorney if you have any questions. Your car accident attorney and his or her staff are there to help guide you through the legal process. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask, as having a better understanding of the process, your rights, and your options can make for a better outcome. At the end of the day, you and your attorney are in this case together, and making sure you know what's happening is important.
Consult a Knowledgeable Attorney About Your Car Accident Case
Hurt in a serious California car accident? We may be able to help. Contact the Inland Empire Law Group today at (888) 694-3529 or (909) 481-0100 to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation. As experienced car accident attorneys, our mission is to be there for you when you need help the most.