Electric scooters are becoming a common sight on California streets. Their popularity is understandable: They're an inexpensive and enjoyable form of transportation—and with multiple e-scooter rental companies moving in to compete with ridesharing services in cities throughout the state, electric scooters are more convenient than ever.
Sadly, as the popularity of electric scooters surge, so, too, are the number of accidents involving them. Recent studies show that electric scooter accidents are on the rise, both in the Golden State and across the country. There are several reason for the increase in these accidents, they include, increased popularity and use, inexperienced riders, damaged roadways, vehicle drivers not accustomed to scooters being on the road and more traffic on the roads.
Hurt in a California scooter crash you didn't cause? Our experienced Inland Empire accident attorneys can help you explore your rights and recover fair compensation for your losses.
Types of Electric Scooter Accidents
Electric scooter accidents and the personal injury cases arising from them vary based on the type and details of the incident. The most common types of scooter accidents involve:
- A vehicle driver who hits an electric scooter operator (or causes them to take evasive action that results in injury)
- An electric scooter operator who hits a pedestrian or bicyclist (or causes them to sustain injuries while avoiding a direct hit)
- An electric scooter operator who hits a car, truck, or other vehicle (or causes the driver or passengers to suffer injuries attempting to evade a collision)
- An accident due to poorly maintained streets causing the scooter operator to crash
The liable party can also vary depending on the circumstances of the accident, but may include:
- Vehicle drivers
- Electric scooter operators
- Scooter rental companies
- Electric scooter manufacturers
- Scooter maintenance companies
- Government entities
Our knowledgeable accident attorneys can review your case to see if you have a claim, and help you determine who to name as the defendant—or defendants—in your claim or lawsuit.
Common Electric Scooter Injuries and Potential Damages
Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) studying scooter-related injuries at two L.A.-area hospitals found that head injuries and broken bones are the most common types of injuries associated with electric scooter accidents. The researchers at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), who conducted the first nationwide analysis of electric scooter health risks concurred. Their study revealed that nearly a third of electric scooter victims suffer serious head trauma or brain injuries. Other common injuries include abrasions, contusions, lacerations, and in extreme cases, psychological trauma.
After suffering injuries in an electric scooter accident caused by another person or company's negligence, our adept legal team can help you recover damages for:
- Medical expenses
- Property damages
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Other losses
Discuss your case with us to find out which types of damages may apply to your insurance claim or injury lawsuit.
What You Have to Prove and How We Can Help
In order to collect compensation in a California electric scooter accident case, you'll have to prove that:
- The defendant had a duty to operate their vehicle or electric scooter safely or to maintain their property
- The defendant breached that duty
- The defendant's breach of their duty of care caused the injuries suffered
- You sustained damages as a direct result of the defendant's negligence
Your attorney can help you build a strong case for damages by conducting a thorough investigation of the accident, gathering and preserving important evidence, and handling communications between you and the other party's insurance company. We can also negotiate and evaluate settlement offers and take your case all the way to trial if necessary to ensure you're compensated fairly.
Talk to a Seasoned Personal Injury Attorney About Your Scooter Accident Case
Injured in an accident involving an electric scooting and a car? Hurt by a negligent scooter operator while you were walking or biking? Find out what our accomplished attorneys can do to help you recover the compensation you deserve. Contact the Inland Empire Law Group at (888) 694-3529 or (909) 481-0100 to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation to discuss the details of your case with a member of our team.