Injured in a car crash that wasn't your fault? The resulting medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses can leave your finances in shambles. Fortunately, filing a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit can help you recover appropriate compensation for your car accident injuries and damages. However, in order to collect a fair recovery, you'll have to carefully document each and every expense—or risk missing out on the compensation you need and deserve. Here's what you need to know about keeping track of your car crash bills, and how our skilled Inland Empire attorneys can help you stay organized in order to build a strong case for damages.

Potential Damages in a California Car Accident

After an accident, victims can potentially recover compensation for a wide range of economic and non-economic losses. Economic damages are those that have a corresponding monetary value, such as medical bills and lost wages—these are the losses you'll need to prove with documentary evidence. You can also seek recovery for non-economic damages, like physical pain and suffering and psychological trauma. Unlike economic damages, these losses have subjective value. After reviewing your case, your attorney can discuss which types of damages may apply.

What Bills to Keep to Help Your Attorney Prove Your Losses

Save any and all bills and receipts for accident-related expenses, such as:

  • Ambulance transportation
  • Emergency medical treatment
  • Hospitalizations
  • Surgical procedures and related services (anesthesiology, radiology, etc.)
  • Imaging ( X-rays, MRI, and CT scans) and diagnostic tests
  • Appointments with doctors and specialists
  • Dental treatment
  • Mental health services
  • Home health care
  • Insurance co-pays
  • Prescriptions
  • Over-the-counter medications
  • Temporary transportation (rental cars, bus fares, taxi or ride-sharing services)
  • Towing costs
  • Vehicle repair or replacement
  • Replacement costs for property damaged inside the vehicle (phones, tablets, etc.)
  • Medical devices (crutches, boots, braces, wheelchairs, walkers, shower chairs, portable commodes, etc.)
  • Bandages and other medical supplies
  • Parking fees (for medical appointments)
  • Medically-necessary travel (transportation, lodging, dining)
  • House-cleaning services
  • Childcare
  • Lawn care
  • Wheelchair ramps and other necessary home modifications

If your injuries caused you to miss work, you would also need to gather documents to prove your wage loss or loss of earning capacity. Helpful evidence includes doctor's notes excusing you from work, a letter from your employer, pay stubs, bank statements, and tax returns.

Save and electonically scan all of these bills, receipts, and other documents in a box or on your computer, and bring them with you when you consult an attorney.

How Our Rancho Cucamonga Attorneys Can Help

When you're trying to recover from the physical and mental trauma of a serious car accident, the idea of filing an insurance claim or lawsuit and gathering everything you need to prove your damages can seem overwhelming. Let the highly-skilled injury professionals and attorneys with the Inland Empire Law Group help you get organized and handle the day-to-day aspects of your case. We'll focus on your financial recovery, so you can focus on recovering physically and mentally. Here are just a few of the things we can do for you:

  • Investigate your accident case
  • Gather evidence
  • Interview witnesses
  • Handle communications with the other party's insurance company or attorney
  • Negotiate on your behalf
  • Assess settlement offers and discuss them with you
  • Take your case to trial, if necessary
  • Arrange for experts to testify (such as accident reconstructionists, medical experts, life care planners, and others)
  • And much, much more

Don't wait another day to find out how we can help with your case.

Schedule a Free Consultation With a Member of Our Legal Team

Ready to discuss your California car crash case with a knowledgeable and experienced accident attorney? Contact the Inland Empire Law Group today at (888) 694-3529 or (909) 481-0100 to schedule an appointment for a complimentary consultation. We'll go over your case, help you understand your legal rights, and discuss your options for seeking compensation. Don't wait—California law gives you as little as six months to make a claim against a government entity, and no longer than two years to file a lawsuit for a traffic collision with a private person or company.


David Ricks
Connect with me
Rancho Cucamonga Personal Injury Lawyer Serving the Inland Empire Community