Motorcycle accidents are a daily occurrence on California roadways. Sadly, because motorcyclists lack any meaningful form of protection, they're 28 times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to die in a crash, per vehicle mile traveled, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III). Learning about the most common types of motorcycle accidents—and their causes—may help motorcyclists avoid them.
Examples of prevalent types of motorcycle accidents include:
- Head-on collisions
- Accidents that occur when a motorist or cyclist is making a left-hand turn
- Accidents that occur as a motorist changes lanes
- Accidents that occur when a motorcyclist loses control due to road conditions
Motorcycle accidents can have any number of causes, but some of the most common causes include:
- Riding or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Inexperienced drivers or motorcyclists
- Drivers failing to check their blind spots
- Drivers opening the door of a parked vehicle in the path of an oncoming motorcycle
- Motorcyclists maneuvering between vehicles and lanes of traffic, also known as lane splitting
- Dangerous road conditions
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents can lead to serious, life-threatening, or even deadly injuries for motorcyclists, such as “road rash” abrasion injuries, broken bones, amputations or lost limbs, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), spinal cord injuries—including paralysis—and death. After a serious motorcycle accident, victims may be entitled to seek compensation for their injuries and other losses via an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
Do You Need Help Handling a CA Motorcycle Accident Insurance Claim or Lawsuit?
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, you may find yourself undergoing extensive medical treatment, while facing unexpected medical debt and time away from work while you heal. The experienced Rancho Cucamonga motorcycle accident attorneys with the Inland Empire Law Group can help you fight for the compensation you need and deserve. There's a lot at stake after a motorcycle accident—contact us today to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation.