Car That Was Damaged While Vacationing in Another StateNo one expects to be involved in a serious car accident while visiting another state for work or vacation. Sadly, it happens all the time—and when it does, it can make filing a personal injury lawsuit and seeking compensation for injuries and damages even more complicated and confusing. If you were hurt in a car crash caused by another person or entity's negligence while out of state, here's what you need to know to protect your right to recovery.

Following an out-of-state accident, the initial steps you'll take to protect your rights are practically identical to those you would take after being involved in a crash in your home state. For example, you'll want to:

  • Report the accident to the police 
  • Take photos of the accident scene, as well as any property damage or injuries
  • Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver
  • Find out if anyone witnessed the crash and write down their contact information
  • Seek immediate medical attention
  • Inform your auto insurance company of the accident

After that, you'll want to speak with an experienced attorney in the state where the crash occurred. Since the accident happened in a different state, any subsequent insurance claim or lawsuit will be governed by that state's personal injury laws. A knowledgeable car accident attorney can help you understand your rights and legal options, evaluate the strength of your case, identify potential defendants, and figure out what types of compensation you can pursue.  After you return to California, a local attorney can help you find a highly qualified attorney in the state where the injury occurred.  Contact our office to find free help for your out of state traffic collision claim.

Hurt in a California Car Accident? We Can Help You Fight for the Damages You Deserve

If you were injured in a car crash while visiting California or if you are a California visiting another state when an accident occurred, the skilled personal injury attorneys with the Inland Empire Law Group can handle the complicated legal wrangling involved with your claim so that you can focus on your physical recovery. Contact us today at (888) 694-3529 or (909) 481-0100 to schedule an appointment for a free initial case consultation.


David Ricks
Connect with me
Rancho Cucamonga Personal Injury Lawyer Serving the Inland Empire Community