Collisions between large commercial trucks and passenger vehicles injure thousands and claim the lives of hundreds of Californians each year. While these crashes can have any number of causes, common contributing factors include:
- Driving too fast for conditions. Faced with a demanding schedule, truckers may drive too fast for the current road or weather conditions, which can result in a devastating accident. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), which governs the trucking industry, recommends that drivers reduce speeds significantly in inclement weather or on poorly maintained roads.
- Day of the week. For truckers who drive Monday through Friday, Thursday is the day of the week associated with the most truck accident fatalities. The second most common day of the week for large truck-related deaths is Friday.
- Time of day. Most fatal truck crashes occur between the hours of 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. when roads are busiest.
- Truck defects and maintenance issues. Faulty truck components and poorly maintained commercial vehicles are frequently cited as causes or contributing factors in California truck accidents.
- Unfamiliarity with the roadway. Failing to plan their route in advance and familiarize themselves with the various distances, routes, and turns involved can increase a trucker's risk of causing a crash.
- Drug or alcohol use. Drinking behind the wheel or using drugs—even some prescription medications—can impair judgment and driving performance, leading to an accident.
Other causes and contributing factors can include drowsy driving, distracted driving, negligent hiring and training practices, insufficient supervision, and improperly loaded cargo.
Hurt in a California Truck Accident? We Can Help
Regardless of the cause or contributing factors, if you were injured in a truck crash that wasn't your fault, our skilled injury recovery professionals can help you fight for compensation. Depending on the facts of your case, you may be entitled to a financial recovery for medical expenses, property damages, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses—and you need experienced legal counsel to recover a fair settlement or financial award. Contact the Inland Empire Law Group today at (888) 694-3529 or (909) 481-0100 to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation to discuss your rights and options.